Important Re-Entry Tips
EMERGENCY ALERT FAQs
If you have questions about Emergency Alerts related to the #TunnelFire or in general, then see this resource. If you made an account several yeas ago, take the time to update your account now. Be sure to include your home address and your email address in your profile.
In times of crisis, our communities come together. Sadly, it is also a time when bad actors try to take advantage. If something doesn’t look right in your neighborhood or sound right on a phone call or email, BE CAUTIOUS. Call 911 if something looks off in the impacted area of the #TunnelFire or if you get a call/email that seems ‘off.’ Trust your gut and be cautious.
BEWARE OF HAZARDS
If you are returning to your homes after the #TunnelFire, BE SAFE. There are hazards still in the area. In these areas you may encounter dangerous conditions and may be exposed to toxic materials including but not limited to:
- Embers and hot ash
- Hazardous materials, including ash, asbestos, heavy metals, oils, fire retardants, pesticides, and other
- Toxic substances
- Puncture hazards, including broken pipes, exposed nails, rebar, broken glass, damaged structural elements
- Potential explosive hazards including propane tanks, ammunition, and solvents
- Slippery surfaces and uneven ground
- Toxic airborne particles
- Unstable structures
- Displaced wildlife, include snakes and insects in rubble, garbage, and wood piles
- Be aware that ground may be unstable
Find more information on safely reentering here.
For those re-entering their homes and neighborhoods after the #TunnelFire, and for those who may drive through the area when the highway reopens, PLEASE DRIVE SLOWLY. There are many fire resources and first responders in the area. Be cautious. Leave room. Slow down.
We want to take a moment to thank every first responder, community volunteer, county employee, and organization that has come together to help those impacted by the #TunnelFire. Thank you for being on the front line, rallying donations, and being there for one another.