Tobacco & Chronic Disease Prevention
provides regulation of the placement, storage and display of tobacco products and vending machines that dispense tobacco products to address vapor products within unincorporated areas of Coconino County.
Tobacco and Chronic Disease Prevention Program
The purpose/goal is to enable county residents to live healthier lives by reducing the risk factors associated with the leading causes of death and disability in Arizona including tobacco, heart disease, cancer, lung disease, and Alzheimer’s. Services are based out of Flagstaff and Page, and are available to all Coconino County residents
What We Do
Need Help Quitting? Click HERE for Resources
Nicotine education: Educational presentations are offered throughout Coconino County, and can be tailored to address needs of specific populations, such as youth, parents, Native Americans, or LGBTQIA. Visit the contact link to request a presentation.
- Tobacco and nicotine products and health effects,
- Vapes and e-cigarettes
- Health Care Provider and Community Agency Training for Cessation Services: Trainings include instruction on opening a dialog about nicotine use and providing appropriate resources for cessation.
- Arizona Retailer Tobacco Training: This training provides retail tobacco store owners, managers, and employees with information about current Federal, AZ state, and local laws regarding sales of tobacco to minors. Contact staff for more information.
- HHS staff are proud members of the Northern Arizona Alzheimer’s and Dementia Alliance (NAZADA) providing quarterly informational sessions for the community and connecting those with Alzheimer’s and their families with resources Visit https://nazada.org/ for more information.
- Finding Meaning and Hope Discussion Series for Family Caregivers, a ten-part video discussion series is offered throughout Coconino County. Visit the contact link to learn when the next session will begin. To learn more about the program click here: Video
Tobacco Free Policies: Do you want to create a smoke/tobacco/nicotine-free policy? The Tobacco and Chronic Disease Prevention Program can provide technical assistance to support businesses, property owners, housing units, campuses, and organizations interested in developing a tobacco free policy.
Link: Multi-Unit Rental Properties with Non-Smoking Policies Available in Coconino County.
Smoke Free Arizona Act: The Statute (A.R.S. § 36.601.01) protects all Arizonans from the harmful effects of secondhand smoke exposure in places of employment, most enclosed public places, and within 20 feet of entrances or exits. To file a complaint or learn more about the law, go to Arizona Department of Health Services
Youth Coalition: Coconino Anti-Tobacco Students (CATS) is a youth coalition based out of Coconino High School. Vikings Inspiring Prevention (VIP) are based out of Williams High School. These coalitions are a part of the statewide organization “Students Taking a New Direction” or STAND. Visit them on Facebook at CATS and VIP
Support for Program
This program is supported by the Arizona Department of Health Services, Bureau of Chronic Disease and Health Promotion, and the Arizona Department of Health Services Smoke-Free Arizona Program
2625 N. King St.
Flagstaff, AZ 86004
Ph: (928) 679-7264
Toll Free: (877) 679-7272
TTY Users: Contact us via the Arizona Relay Service: 7-1-1
Monday - Friday
8 AM - 5 PM