Food Handler Certification and HB 2102

Coconino County Health and Human Services Food Handlers Online Course (Click here)

Each year millions of people eat out, and the trend of eating out continues to grow. The food industry has grown in response to the increased demand. Food facilities are unique businesses faced with the challenge of providing quality food that is safe to consume. At minimum, this involves safely storing, transporting, and preparing food, and taking reasonable precautions against disease and injury.

Simply stated, food operators are required to take reasonable steps to prevent food-borne illnesses. This entails learning about food-borne diseases to which clients may become exposed, and techniques for minimizing the risk of illness.

Coconino County Health and Human Services (CCHHS) provides a comprehensive online training and certification for food handlers.

Upon successful completion of the Food Handler Online Training and certification course and test, a printable certificate of training is available. To receive an official Coconino County Food Service Worker Card, the certificate must be presented, along with proof of lawful presence (per AZ House Bill 2102), at CCHHS office locations at:
Flagstaff: 2625 N. King Street (928-679-8750)
Page: 467 Vista Ave. (928-608-6108)

In order to comply with ARS 41-1080, CCHHS Environmental Services requires individuals requesting a test and/or a food service worker card to provide proof of lawful presence in the United States. The law establishes that anyone requiring a food service worker card must provide one of the following forms of legal/valid ID and a photo ID:
  • An Arizona driver license issued after 1996 or an Arizona non-operating identification license
  • A driver license issued by a state that verifies lawful presence in the United States
  • A birth certificate or delayed birth certificate issued in any state, territory or possession of the United States
  • A U.S. certificate of birth abroad
  • A U.S. passport
  • A foreign passport with a U.S. visa
  • An I-94 form with a photograph
  • A U.S. citizenship and immigration services employment authorization document or refugee travel document
  • A U.S. certificate of naturalization
  • A U.S. certificate of citizenship
  • A tribal certificate of Indian blood
  • A tribal or bureau of Indian affairs affidavit of birth
This means that if a customer is unable to provide proof of lawful presence we will not provide them with a test or food handler card.

For reviewing HB 2102, please view the House Bill 2102

More information about obtaining a Food Handler certification can be obtained by calling the Coconino County Health and Human Services Office at (928) 679-8750.